Faq Download PDF
REGISTRATION AND TERMS OF ACCESS TO THE CONTEST
1. Is it necessary to have never recorded in the past to participate? The only constraint placed in this regard by the Regulations is that the soloist or the group are free from recording or editorial contracts in progress at the time of registration (see Articles 2 and 4). Nothing prevents the participants from having been under contract in the past, provided that the contractual obligations do not fall on the pieces presented and on the eventual performance for which this Contest is aimed.
2. What exactly is meant by the age between 18 and 28? Are these years completed or still to be completed? Individual musicians who meet the following characteristics may participate in the Contest: a) soloists aged 18 or over at the time of registration, or who have already reached the age of majority at the time of registration; b) soloists aged 28 or younger at the time of enrollment, or who have not yet turned 29 at the time of enrollment. In the case of groups, the age limit refers to each individual member of the band, according to the above specifications.
3. Is the participation of foreigners allowed? For the 2022 edition, the participation of foreigners is only allowed under certain conditions. In fact, in addition to Italian citizens, only foreign citizens residing in Italy can register for the competition.
4. Is the participation of last year's winners allowed? No, the participation in the Contest of the winning groups of the previous editions, in the same formation, is not allowed. On the other hand, single artists who have already participated in previous editions are allowed to participate in the Contest, as long as they are in different formations and provided that the songs uploaded are different from those presented previously, always in compliance with all the other participation criteria provided for by the regulation.
5. Can the same musician participate in more than one formation? No, it is not foreseen the participation of an artist in more than one formation at the same time.
6. What should be the duration of the songs to be loaded? For an optimal evaluation by the Jury, it is suggested to upload pieces of a length between 3 and 10 minutes.
7. What kind of pieces can be presented? Competitors can present both unpublished pieces and pieces already recorded or published before the presentation to the Contest. Each group, by registering, declares the authorship of the pieces and / or arrangements presented. The originality of the tracks is not a mandatory condition: jazz standards and arrangements of already known pieces are accepted, although it is advisable to also upload original projects and / or pieces, because this characteristic will be positively evaluated by the Juries.
8. How can I be sure that the loading procedures for the band card and the songs have been successful? During the loading phase, the user will be guided step by step from the control panel, with feedback messages to report the lack of one or the other element. The band profile will only be visible on the site once all the contents have been entered correctly. A notification - followed by a confirmation email - will indicate that the procedure has been successful.
JURIES AND SELECTIONS
9. Who is the technical jury composed of? The technical jury is made up of musicians and experts; further information is available on this site, on the Juries page.
10. Who is the artistic jury composed of? The artistic jury, chaired by Stefano Bragatto, Director of Radio Monte Carlo, is made up of musicians, record producers and experts; further information is available on this site, on the Juries page.
11. What is the difference between the preference expressed by the technical jury and that expressed by the artistic jury? The technical jury will express its preference among all the members, identifying the 9 ﬁnalists who will perform at Umbria Jazz (together with the 10th finalist selected by the popular jury). The artistic jury, on the other hand, will evaluate the ten finalists live during the Festival, decreeing the overall winner.
13. Will the audience ranking play a role in identifying the finalists? And what about the winners? Yes, the popular jury will be able to express their preference to identify 1 of the 10 finalists, by voting on the website www.conadjazzcontest.it (see Regulations, art. 5, point 1b). The voting by the popular jury will be open on Thursday 2 June at 11.00 (Central European Time) and closed at 23.59 on Wednesday 22 June (Central European Time). Each registered user will be able to express their preference through a single vote system (one band, one vote), expressing up to a maximum of 10 votes (for the same band or for different bands). At the close of the voting, the single most voted group or soloist, in addition to entering the shortlist of 10 finalists, will win the prize of the popular jury (see Regulations, art. 6 point 3).
14. How will the overall winner be chosen? The overall winner of the competition will be chosen by the artistic jury chaired by Stefano Bragatto, who will evaluate the artists live during the performances at Umbria Jazz (scheduled from Friday 8 July to Sunday 17 July, according to a calendar that will be defined in relation to the official program of the manifestation). The jurors will evaluate the competitors based on the originality of the project and the technical and artistic quality of the execution.
15. What is expected in the event that the technical jury and the popular jury choose the same group to include it among the 10 finalists? Should the finalist identified by the popular jury coincide with one of those chosen by the technical jury, the technical jury will identify an additional name. In any case, the technical jury reserves the right to identify a number of ﬁnalists less than 9 if it is not satisfied with the technical and artistic quality of the proposals received.
16. What is expected in the event that the artistic jury and the popular jury identify the same winner? Should the winner of the popular jury coincide with that of the artistic jury, the prize of the popular jury will be assigned to the second most voted group or soloist by the online community.
17. What are the prizes for the finalists? All 10 finalists will win the opportunity to perform within the official program of Umbria Jazz 22 (Perugia, July 8-17). During the performances they will be evaluated by the artistic jury chaired by Paolo Fresu, who will decide the overall winner. All finalists will also receive an artist pass at the Festival Office which will allow, among other things, to attend the Umbria Jazz concerts that will take place at the Santa Giuliana Arena.
18. What are the prizes for the overall winner? The 1st classified of the artistic jury will win: a cash prize worth 5,000 euros; the inclusion in the program of "Italian Jazz for L'Aquila", one of the largest jazz events in our country; a concert tour of the winner in the best jazz clubs in Italy; he will be invited to play in L’Aquila on the occasion of the "Italian Jazz for L’Aquila", one of the largest jazz events in our country; it will finally be included in the lineup of UJ Weekend (Terni, 15-18 September 2022) and Umbria Jazz Winter # 29 (Orvieto, 28 December 2022 - 1 January 2023). Further information is available on this site, on the Awards page.
19. What are the prizes for the winner of the popular jury? The most voted of the popular jury will instead receive a voucher worth 500 euros to be spent by the end of 2022 in a professional recording studio (chosen by the winner) for the recording of their album. COMMUNICATION TO THE FINALISTS
20. When will the 10 finalists be notified? The shortlist of 10 selected groups (9 by the Technical Jury, 1 by the People's Jury) will be communicated directly to the finalists - following the closure of the online voting - through the contacts indicated during registration for the Contest. The list will then be published on the website www.conadjazzcontest.it and on the Facebook page. The same procedure will be followed in the next phase to make known the ranking and the relative calendar of performances.
21. Will the names of the finalists and winners be published? The names of the finalists and winners will be published on the website www.conadjazzcontest.it, on the Facebook pages and on www.umbriajazz.com. The promoters also reserve the right to make public the names of finalists and winners through communication actions subsequent to the closing of the Contest itself, aimed at reporting the results of the initiative and promoting the programming of the Umbria Jazz festival (see Article 7 of the Regulations).
22. What will the 10 finalists have to do to formalize the victory? To formalize the victory and for communication purposes, each selected group will have to fill in and send to the organization some materials that will be sent by the Contest Secretariat ([email protected]) at the time of the announcement of the victory. Specifically: "Group release", completed in block letters and signed by all members; front / back copy of the identity document of each component (identity card or passport; the driving license will not be considered a valid document); short bio / curriculum vitae of the group (max. 1,500 characters); high resolution photos; for the purposes of the exhibition, stage plot, technical sheet and list of songs.
THE EXHIBITION OF THE 10 FINALISTS IN UMBRIA JAZZ: CONCERT AND TRANSFER
23. How long will the performance of the 10 finalist groups at Umbria Jazz last? Which pieces will the finalist groups have to perform? Those proposed for the contest or a wider repertoire? The duration and the schedule of the exhibition (which will have an approximate length of 20 minutes) must be agreed by the finalists with the artistic direction of the Festival. However, the pieces uploaded on the site www.conadjazzcontest.it at the time of application must necessarily be performed. Umbria Jazz will contact the groups for agreements in this sense when defining the official program of the event.
24. Will the finalists have to show up in Perugia with their own instruments? With the exception of piano, drums and double bass, finalists will be asked to present themselves with the instruments necessary for their performance (see Article 10 of the Regulations). More precise agreements in this sense will, however, be made with the production of the Festival at the time of defining the program, also in relation to the instrumentation necessary for the soloist / group.
25. In the event that a finalist group cannot perform on the assigned date, will it be possible to request a change of date? No. The date and place of the performances at Umbria Jazz - from Friday 8 July to Sunday 17 July 2022 - are functional to guaranteeing the artistic jury the opportunity to listen to all 10 finalists, thus identifying the winner. The program communicated to the artists will therefore be considered closed and not subject to change.
26. Are substitutions of components allowed for the finalist groups? Yes. In the face of proven impediments related to the date of the assigned performance, the replacement of group members is allowed (with respect to what is indicated at the time of registration), in any case to an extent of less than 50 percent of the training. For example, a band made up of 3 elements can replace a maximum of one. The replacement members must also respect the same age restrictions as for the members.
27. Will there be a fee for the performances at Umbria Jazz? No, the finalists will perform free of charge.
28. Should shooting rights be granted? By accepting the Contest regulations, and finalists authorize the audio / video recordings made during the event, the dissemination of images and audio of the performances and the creation of additional phonographic and paper supports containing their songs (see art. Regulation). The right of the author / authors of the piece / pieces to intellectual property and to its registration with the SIAE at their own care, cost, burden and responsibility remains unaffected.
29. Will travel expenses be reimbursed? The organization will take care of the travel expenses - also including internal transfers (return shuttle to the concert locations) - and the hospitality of the 10 finalists in Perugia (accommodation for all members for 2 nights, in the day of the exhibition and on the previous day). The organization will contact the finalists to organize the trip, directly dealing with the necessary reservations. Refund requests will not be accepted.
30. For groups made up of musicians of different origins, are there diversified movements for the components? No. The organization will guarantee the round trip (by plane or train) of all members of a band from the same city and on the same date. Any extra trips other than those described (i.e. departing from a different airport or on a different date) will be charged to the group.
31. Will meals be included or paid for by the finalists? Meals will be paid for by the finalists, with the exception of a meal to be taken on the day of the concert at Umbria Jazz.
32. What is expected in case of renunciation of one or more groups from the exhibition? In case of renunciation of one or more groups from the exhibition, the Technical Jury reserves the right to identify substitutes. By renouncing the performance at Umbria Jazz, the artists renounce the other prizes provided. The prize of the People's Jury will be an exception, in order to respect the wishes of the voting public: in the event that the winner of the People's Jury renounces the performance at Umbria Jazz, the group's right to a voucher worth 500 will remain valid. euro for the registration of your own album (but not for the other prizes provided).
THE WINNER: CONCERTS AND TRANSFERS
33. What will be the dates of the concerts of the winner following Umbria Jazz? The calendar of subsequent performances is still being defined, but will provide an approximate time frame: autumn 2022: UJ Weekend (Terni, 15-18 September 2022) and Italian Jazz for L'Aquila and concert tour in jazz clubs; winter 2022: Umbria Jazz Winter # 29 (Orvieto, 28 December 2022 - 1 January 2023). It will be the responsibility of the organization to notify interested parties with due advance of the scheduled dates and any other necessary information (travel, room and board, necessary tools, sound check and set up, etc.).
34. Will there be a fee for subsequent performances? No, the winner will perform free of charge, while travel, room and board expenses will be borne by the organization.